Wednesday 6 May 2009

REALITY TV GETS A MIXED RECEPTION IN OUR HOUSEHOLD...

Being fascinated by people and their various idiosyncrasies I am a huge fan of any real life documentary and many of the 'Reality' programmes that are broadcast here in the UK.

Now when it comes to my hubby and reality TV, well ne'er the twain shall meet. We are now at the stage where he cannot watch Big Brother or The Apprentice and even Grand Designs can be raise blood pressure on certain occasions. According to him Big Brother contestants are all exhibitionists (yes they are), Grand Designs families are trying to build the world for a fiver (yes they are) and in The Apprentice he finds S'Rallan somewhat disingenuous and the contestants unpalatable for a whole number of reasons (and that's why I love it!).

To preserve sanity and the china, these days we have to record The Apprentice so that I can watch in back in peace and quiet at my leisure. If you have tried it, you will know that it is no fun sitting next to someone who huffs, puffs and constantly shouts at the TV for the best part of an hour.

I on the other hand find the individuals fascinating...

OK, so they all have massively inflated egos and show a distinct lack of manners yet, for some some reason believe that these are the qualities that will bring them success in life.

OK, so they all believe that they know everything to know at the age of 23 (didn't we all?).

OK, so the programme is edited for dramatic effect, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know...

All that said, I personally cannot remember an occasion (other than perhaps when drunk) that I thought it might be beneficial to my cause to raise my voice above everyone else in the room (including S'Rallan) simply to get my life threateningly important point across.

For me The Apprentice is more than simple entertainment.

Incredibly, it reminds me of qualities I have (mostly good) that I often forget to be proud of. It highlights to me how easy it is to disregard other peoples feelings in order to 'win the point'. It gives me the opportunity to remember what fear of failure can do to people.

But... most importantly and most fortunately it is a Reality TV programme that reminds ME to be REAL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apprentice/

On a completely different level, we were both reminded how REAL LIFE can be almost UNREAL for some. Hubby and I were both captivated and humbled by the families in last night's 'Born To Be Different' on Channel 4 at 9pm.

This incredible programme tracks the past 12 months of six children with various special needs and disabilities that they have been tracking since they were all born 9 years ago

These families have incredible stories to tell and the bravery of the children and their parents just blew me away. Despite rounds of operations and mountains of medication these children seem somehow able to find the best in life and to focus on it.

Every one was amazing but my heart was particularly torn by the remarkable parents of one child. He, as a result of his special needs, is often particularly demanding and this results in a challenging life for the whole family.

However, unbelievably when we learned that his already 'worn out' mother (who seems to survive on no sleep at all) has now been diagnosed with MS we were both rendered speechless and to be honest felt rather ashamed at our simple uncomplicated and often selfish life. This woman, and her husband projected a totally matter of fact reaction to this development.

She showed no hint of self pity for what life had 'dealt' her and with the support of her husband demonstrated nothing but absolute determination to 'get on with life' and care for their children come hell or high water.

Truly, truly incredible people - all of them.

http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/B/born_to_be_different/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment