Friday 8 May 2009

A FEAR OF FALLING THINGS...

Getting out and about to see live theatre or music is something that Hubby and I tend to do in fits and starts. For example, we don't go to the theatre for months on end and then, lo and behold, find ourselves perched in flip up seats 3 times in a month. All or nothing - that's us...

Last weekend, in the absence of any decent films being shown in our area we decided to check out what other delights North Shropshire had in store for us and sadly were left wanting.

Luckily for us North Wales did have something to tempt and tantalise at Clywd Theatr Cymru in Mold. Just a stones throw over the border from home and very much accessible to us it seemed like our best bet for a bit of culture.

The piece in question has the rather strange title of 'A History of Falling Things' and is a modern love story written by the young modern playwright,James Graham.

Find out more at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7HjjDFsBqU

The synopsis gave little away other than to inform us that the 'lovers' in question shared a common condition know as Keraunothnetophobia - the apparently real fear of man made satellites falling from the sky. Honestly, check it out at:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/keraunothnetophobia

In a nutshell, despite their incarceration the couple meet on the internet and fall in love and therein lies the tale...

Now, you may not be aware but Hubby and I met on the internet (sad innit?). Fortunately neither of us suffered from keraunothnetophobia. In fact the only phobias we admitted to (apart from mine of spiders and his of spending money :-)) was a fear of chatting up people in bars and clubs. To be honest I didn't like it when I was young, free and single never mind when I was older, free and divorced.

Therefore I have a lot to thank www.loveandfriends.com for. They found me my Chubby Hubby and found him a Fruit Loop and they only forced me to meet one other nutcase in the process. Not bad eh? I reckon I got off lightly.

Pre Hubby I had always found the idea of internet dating to be a weird phenomenon. I often wondered why members didn't just put on their glad rags (and perhaps a wig) and go out and meet people? Why didn't they just join a gym? Join a flower arranging group? Take up juggling? Anything really. Anything that gave them the ability to meet likeminded people who may or may not be the next 'love of their life'.

In truth, hypocrite that I am and having found myself ready 'available'again afer a long term relationship I must admit that I was drawn to the anonymity of internet dating. Don't get me wrong, I did sign up for evening classes, I did go out to places where 'likeminded individuals' might be hanging around. In fact the only things I didn't do were to participate in singles sessions at Sainsburys and to get a dog to walk on a Sunday morning.

To be perfectly honest I hated every moment of being single again. The evening classes were full of single women (tip there for the boys I guess), the theatres full of couples and the bars full of drunks. What is more I can't bear dogs and didn't really want to spend loads of money on fine wine, vegetables and lentils in order to try and attract wine drinking vegetarians with a wind problem to my pantry.

Safe to say, I survived the experience, found my lovely Hubby and was reminded, by the play, that whilst the fear of falling satellites is more than ridiculous, true love really can be found on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment